Interview With Prof. E. J. Alagoa

newsbanner 
Good morning Sir, it is a pleasure meeting with you sir, I have heard a lot about you; sir please can we know more about you? 

My name is Prof Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa. I was born on the 14th day of APRIL 1933 IN Okpoama Kingdom, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. I am married to Mrs. Mercy G. Alagoa (Dame) JP. I have four (4) children and several grand-children and great-grand children. 
 
When did you start activism Sir? 

I started activism when I was a student at the Prestigious Government College, Umaiah in the late 1940’s when I came in contact with the works of Chief Harold Dappa Biriye and I began to commit myself to the course of the people of the Niger Delta. After my fi rst degree in the University College, Ibadan (UCI) under the tutelage of Prof K. O. Dike the fi rst Professor Historian and founder of (FHSN). Although I was still strong with my activism, I later went for my (PhD) at the University of Wisconsin – Madison (USA). 
 
Sir how many books have you written? And is you focus mainly on Niger Delta affairs? 

I am more concerned and focused about the Niger Delta history, their culture, tradition etc. I have written so many books can not mention all but let me mention few of them “The Izon of the Niger Delta” which was edited by myself, Tekena M. Tonye Tamuno, John Pepper Clark it is a recent book, and commission by the Government of Bayelsa State. It is a global history of the Izon, Ijo or Ijaw people from their homelands in Niger Delta, through Nigerian, the west and central African coastlands, and in the Africans and the Caribbean. 
 
Wow! Sir it’s such a colossal book, thanks for the copy Sir. 

You are welcome, others are: “The Small Brave City-State, Oral Tradition and Oral history in Africa and the Diaspora (theory and practice). The use of hind sight as foresight, the future of the Niger Delta, (the search for a relevant narrative... there are so many of them. 
 
What about your NGO Sir? 

I run an NGO, the name is Onyoma Research. It is aimed at studying the history and culture of the Niger Delta and community development in the Niger Delta and publication of all types of literature and the mentioning of talented young writers. 
 
Your most memorable moment Sir, and brief achievement?

I have been seen so many memorable aspect of my life, just to mention a few, when I was made the president of the historical society of Nigeria, I was elected as the president, making it two times and when I was made a fellow of historical society of Nigeria, also when I was made a fellow of Nigerian Academy of letters and also when I was made a winner of the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NMOM) by the Federal Government of Nigeria Awarded by President Goodluck Jonathan. I am an offi cer of the order of the Niger also Justice of Peace (JP), I have achieved a lot so far. I was also the fi rst Prof. Chancellor of the Niger Delta University, The first Deputy Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt and the first Dean of the Faculty of Humanities. 
 
Your views on the minorities discrimination, in general ?

The monitoring question in Nigeria was structured in to the creation of Nigeria in 1914. Lord Fredrick Lugard already empowered three groups and made others minority, the three groups were the North under the Hausa/Fulani, the South West under the Yoruba, minorities existed even before the Author Richard’s constitution, so the minorities are tended to be marginalized in the system, the British tried in their own way to create administrative units, to permit some minorities to achieve some level of local autonomy. But this measures did not fully satisfi ed all minorities and therefore at the time of independence in 1960 the question of minorities came into the surface. When some minorities in the Niger Delta and Middle Belt vigorously expressed their fears concerning their future, the British Government also set up a commission at that time it was known as Henry’s Willinks Commission around 1958, to inquire the fears of the minorities. So many stories about the minorities, if we continue to talk about it, we won’t go to our various houses. 
 
Has the Amnesty Programme solve the problem of militancy in the Niger Delta? 

This went a very long way to solve it, it created sense of security within the Niger Delta itself and it also helps the political system in Nigeria to recognize the importance of placing a Niger Delta leader in the presidency leading to Mr. President (Goodluck E. Jonathan). It has vastly improved security in the Niger Delta but has not completely solved 
 
Why do many of you Nationalist do not venture into politics? 

Wow! If we go, who will be in the classroom to teach the young ones? So we are trying our best by bringing the politicians back to their history, so they will know where they are coming from. It will direct their step to where they are going to. 
 
Boss: Thank you very much Sir.
Prof: Welcome!
Share on Google Plus

About Bayelsa Info

This is a short description in the author block about the author. You edit it by entering text in the "Biographical Info" field in the user admin panel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment